PHONETOGRAPHY: KANAZAWA & SHIRAKAWA-GO

by - 19:00



 It's March! New year, new layout! Starting a "series" of phonetography photos taken while I was in Japan as well as sharing how I went there, what's good there, what to expect and my experience there just to help those who are interested in visiting the places that I've visited.

I had an evening flight with MAS and then a transit with JAL. It was my first time on JAL and oh my my. The seats were comfortable, so much leg space, good food (best BEST MISO SOUP EVER), in-flight entertainment stuff! I wouldn't mind flying with JAL again.
Took the shinkansen (Hokuriku line) to Kanazawa Sta. from Tokyo Sta. and we bought the JR Pass.
First meal in Kanazawa was at Taiga Noodles rated "Best Ramen in Kanazawa" by Trip Advisor. There was a pretty long line for a small shop that has probably only 15-20 seats. I loved the pork in the ramen; tender and tasty! Also, the sort of half boiled egg that made everything taste better.
How I got around Kanazawa: the shuttle bus. We bought the Kanazawa One Day Bus Pass for ¥‎ 500 which allowed us to hop off and on any Kanazawa shuttle bus for free. Do search up the Kanazawa Shuttle Bus timetable(s) before you leave because the timetables at bus stops are all in Japanese. [Here] is a really great map + timetable, both in English
I highly highly recommend visiting Ōmichō Market. It wasn't as crowded as I expected it to be and I'm not a fan of markets, especially wet markets, but I wish I could go back there actually! Kanazawa is famous for seafood & December happened to be 'seafood season'. There were many types of seafood to look at, from crabs to octopuses to fishes at a pretty cheap price. Okay, maybe cheap wouldn't be so appropriate but more like reasonable.
Time for lunch y'alls. The shop we had lunch at is called [Kaisendon Ichiba]. I really enjoyed my meal here! The sashimi so fresh, generous with their ebiko, everything was just delicious. First you have to decide which meal you want then buy your 'meal ticket' which was what they called it. There are some shops with a very very long queue and if you're not willing to wait, you can always try other shops because they all have the same type of seafood.
Kanazawa Castle Park. This place was bigger than I expected it to be, it was huge. It was raining that day so it was kind of gloomy. It's a really nice place and worth going for some photos since it's free as well!
Just a few fishes that responded to my "Hello fishies!!" 

Kanazawa - I recommend taking some time out to travel all the way to Kanazawa although it's really far, but it's pretty fast with the Shinkansen. Kanazawa is really quiet and less busy compared to places like Tokyo.



 
 A quick on-the-go breakfast at the Kanazawa Sta. waiting room.
Okay, I am really sorry but I don't really know how I got to Shirakawa-go because I just followed wherever our group was going, looking at the pictures I really can't wrap my head around how we got to Shirakawa-go. Originally we were supposed to take the most popular way recommended by tourists who've been there which is the Nohi Bus.* If I were to look back at the photos taken, we took the Shinkansen to Takaoka Sta. then we waited outside at bus stop 9 if not mistaken, and with our JR Pass we could take the bus "for free", and we just used that bus which took us all the way to the Shirakawa-go main information centre. After calculating the price between the Nohi Bus and the bus we took from Takaoka Sta., the one we took was cheaper because the Nohi Bus goes direct from Kanazawa Sta. to Shirakawa-go.

When we arrived it was raining, therefore everyone crowded in the tiny main information centre. The rain made it even colder and windy (I think my shoes got wet, well, luckily we have heaters right). We found a shop to have brunch, and cozy is the best word to describe it. I enjoyed my food there, really. I ordered curry rice and gurl lemme tell you. It was so good I didn't leave a single drop of curry on that bowl. The rice was drenched in the banjir-ed curry.
Sadly, there was no snow in late December. We saw traces of melted snow from the day before or earlier that morning, but it didn't snow when we were there. It rained and it was so cold we couldn't bear it any longer but we were hoping it'd get colder so we could've snow instead! (But that didn't happen, don't always trust the weather forecast on your phone kids).
:( because it snowed!! Right when we left. Do you know how that feels? 
Ended our evening with in a warm fast food shop, Yoshinoya at the Kanazawa Sta. 

Shirakawa-go - I suggest going to Shirakawa-go in February or at least January when there's actually snow on the Gassho houses which would make your trip more worth it! I also recommend staying a night there because we didn't have much time to go to every place, I really want to go to the viewpoint but we had to catch our bus back to Kanazawa, so it was a huge time squeeze. If you stay a night there (in January/February) there will be a light up which would be photo worthy I'm pretty sure, and maybe even stargaze.
Going in December was okay I would say, just that it was raining which made going outdoors annoying, and because it's a World UNESCO Heritage a lot of tourists go there, so do make your reservations & bookings for the buses *(yes you need to make a reservation for the Nohi Bus or you won't get a seat because a lot people visit Shirakawa-go lately) & your stay at the Gassho houses.




Taken with Honor 4X with an additonal wide-angle lens.
Editing apps: Snapseed and VSCO.

You May Also Like

0 comments